Justin is a San Diego based photographer and cinematographer. He specializes in slow motion video and alternative photography processes. Photography is both a passion and a profession.
I approach photography from the perspective that I just love doing it. When someones tells me that I have "the eye" I tell them it's not that I have "the eye", I just love having a camera in my hands and I care about what the image will look like. Anyone can take pictures, but professional photographers take the time to learn and understand how to use the camera as a tool.
As for the art of photography I am always pushing myself to expand my vision and toolset. Sometimes a type of film inspires me to shoot. At other times, a particular shoot needs a certain tone from a specific film.
When it comes to filmmaking I am and have always been a storyteller. I love sharing stories and more so I enjoy getting an emotional response to whatever it is that I've had a part in creating.
I am a people person, when it comes to both photography and video I enjoy capturing people more than anything else. I've been told that I have good bedside manner when it comes to interviewing people and making them feel comfortable in front of the camera. I feel that I have a natural ability for following story lines and keeping my ear to the ground and one eye on the peripheral for a good story lead.
On the set I find myself being the one figuring out a lot of the technical challenges. Having been a Helicopter mechanic, I often am the one to fix things as they break.
I have an adventurous personality and will often go to great lengths to get the shot.
All images copyright Justin Edelman. All rights reserved.
· First video created during school which went viral
Featured in Carrie Underwood video and used by Bad Robot
· Volvo open ocean race in port Newport 2014
· Lisa Nichols Live streaming events 2015
· Triple Threat TV documentary “gods or men”
· Lamborghini Event photography and Centenario US Press release photographer
· Platt College San Diego of Digital Media Design – Bachelor of Science in Media Arts
· 5 years of USN Military service - two 6+ month tours
NAVY BOOT CAMP
SHIPBOARD AIRCRAFT FIREFIGHTING 2004
AVIATION STRUCTURAL MECHANIC ORGANIZATIONAL LEVEL A SCHOOL
AIRCRAFT HYDRAULIC SYSTEMS
AIRCRAFT STRUCTURES/FABRICATION 2005
AIRCRAFT CORROSION CONTROL
AIRCRAFT PAINT TOUCH UP AND MARKINGS 2006
RADOME AND FIBERGLASS REPAIR 2007
· NAB two years in a row purchased the Pre/Post seminars tickets which I attended various workshops and seminars related to Editing, lighting, color grading, 4k Workflows
· Alex Buono visual story telling
· Shane Hurlbut illumination tour
· Vincent Laforet directing motion tour